The baby had been sick in November, and doctors confirmed it was due to a parasite.
The mom of a 3-month-old baby filed a complaint with the police this week. "In November, her three-month-old daughter had a high temperature," the city of Saint-Malo's police department told the AFP. "She brought her to the emergency room, where she was treated. And several days later, she vomited a worm about six to seven centimetres long."
The woman claimed that her baby was being fed with Gallia at the time when she threw up a 2.5-inch worm last November. The mother said that the hospital had analyzed the worm at the time and confirmed to her that it was, in fact, a parasite. After seeing similar cases of other babies and their families in the news, the mom decided to take action against the company.
Two other cases have also surfaced in France.
The Ouest-France newspaper reported that the second complaint came from a family in the Puy-de-Dôme region in France. They allegedly found a living larvae inside the container. Another case similar to that one was also reported in the Landes region of the nation.
The company is asking parents to report any issues.
Florent Lalanne, head of medical affairs at Danone's Bledina baby food unit, spoke to the AFP and asked parents to report any cases of larvae in its packages. "We need to recover these packages to carry out further analyses," Lalanne said. Danone claimed that substandard transportation or storage conditions could be to blame for the larvae, and the company needs the containers for anlaysis, saying "several hypotheses could explain the presence of an insect."