Dangerous teen trendsMamás, I've come across two horrifying teen trends that we must all advise our kids to steer clear of: the fire challenge and the choking game. I am not exaggerating when I say that either of these ridiculous trends could end in death. In the fire challenge trend, participants basically set themselves on fire. Yeah, it's a thing! And in the choking game--or fainting game as it is sometimes called--the point is to cut off oxygen to the brain, which results in the person passing out, it's freakin' crazy and beyond dangerous.

Of course I have examples of both these trends to show you because as parents we need to know what is going on out there in order to teach our kids that some things are not fun or funny, they are nonsense and could lead to death.

Read more ¿Qué más?: 16-year-old charged with child pornography & it can happen to your kids too

A quick search on YouTube for "fire challenge" will bring up all kinds of examples. I chose this one even though it has some bad language in it because it is not as graphic to watch as some of the ones where people light HUGE parts of their bodies on fire. But don't let this example make you think that people are not getting hurt. A 15-year-old from Kentucky recently lit himself on fire after watching fire challenge videos on YouTube and ended up in the hospital getting treated for burns. Lexington Fire Department Captain Chris Harrod says, "What they don't show at the end of the videos is the consequences of doing this, getting second and third degree burns."

And now for the choking game. I came across this video of two girls doing the choking challenge via Facebook and it floored and terrified me. When you watch the video keep an eye on the girl on the left. I really believe that she put herself in some kind of mortal danger.

Did you see that? Both the girls get woozy, but the girl on the left goes totally limp. Her body contorts in ways that a body is not meant to go and for a second it really looks like she might not regain consciousness.

As horrible as the two above trends are, there are more to worry about as you can see from the gallery below. Please check them out and warn your kids about the dangers associated with them.--Additional reporting by Roxana Soto, Giselle Castro

Images via Thinkstock, Danhardingyeah/Instagram

Bubbling 1


Images Danhardingyeah/Instagram

Bubbling sounds like it could be cute, but it's absolutely disgusting. Supposedly this trend started in Australia among skaters and as you can see from this horrifying picture, involves peeing into your own mouth.


Caffeine Powder 2

Caffeine Powder

Image via Thinkstock

This dangerous trend killed 18-year-old Logan Steiner from a caffeine overdose. The mix contains the strength of 30 cups of coffee in one teaspoon and can cause an irregular heartbeat. Most people snort it or use it as a pre-workout beverage.


ABC Eraser challenge 3

ABC Eraser challenge

Image via Thinkstock

This crazy challenge involves a kid rubbing their arm with an eraser while reciting the alphabet, which in many cases leads to kids breaking the skin. Aside from infection and scarring issues, if they share erasers issues there is a whole cross-contamination thing to worry about.

NekNomination 4


Image via Facebook

This highly dangerous driking dare game has already killed two people. Kieren Hunter could've been one of them because he could've very easily choked in his own vomit. 


Snorting Smarties 5

Snorting Smarties

Image via YouTube

Believe it or not, kids are crushing Smarties and snorting them. As idiotic as it sounds, this trend is actually dangerous because even though kids don't get a high, they can actually damage their nasal cavities, get lung infections and even nasal maggots.  

Condom snorting 6

Condom snorting

Image via YouTube

Words cannot describe how disgusting this is. Nor can they explain why in the world someone would think snorting a condom this is a good idea! What is wrong with our teens today?


Rainbow parties 7

Rainbow parties

Image via ebbandflo_pomomam/flickr

If you're thinking rainbows and unicorns for a child's birthday party, think again! Rainbow parties are basically this: girls wear different color lipstick and perform oral sex on one or several guys leaving them with a rainbow of colors.  

Salt & ice challenge (graphic image) 8

Salt & ice challenge (graphic image)

Image via West Penn Allegheny Health System

Teens are pressing salt and ice against their skin for as long as they can take the burning pain, which is similar to frostbite. Many times, this stupidity leads to severe injuries like the second-degree burns this 12-year-old boy from Pittsburgh sustained on his back last  year. 


Getting drunk on hand sanitizer 9

Getting drunk on hand sanitizer

Image via hodag/flickr

Hard to believe, but since they have a hard time getting their hands on real alcohol, some teens have been known to turn to hand sanitizer to get drunk. Last year, six teenagers ended up in the ER suffering alcohol poisoning after gulping down hand sanitizer in California.

Cinnamon challenge 10

Cinnamon challenge

Image via abbyladybug/flickr

This stupid and very dangerous trend basically challenges teens to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 second without the help of water or any other liquid. Since the spice is caustic, it can cause choking, burning, throat irritation, trouble breathing and collapsed lungs.


Vodka eyeballing 11

Vodka eyeballing

Image via Vikingfjord US/flickr

This one sounds like one of the craziests things I've ever heard. But apparently it's become popular among college students. What they do is tilt their head and allow someone to pour a shot of vodka directly onto their eyes. This gives them a super quick buszz when the alcohol enters the bloodstream via the veins at the back of the eye. WTH?

Trunking 12


Image via mouton.rebelle/flickr

In many states, kids can't drive with passangers when they first get their driver's license. To avoid this, some have come up with the stupid and extremely dangerous idea known as trunking, which means having passangers ride inside the trunk. Two teens died this way back in 2005 and California made trunking ilegal... but kids still do it.


Choking game 13

Choking game

Image via muhawi001/flickr

In case you haven't heard, YouTube is full of videos that pretty much teach teens to do the most outrageous stunts--such as choking themselves to get high. For more than one teen, imitating what they see on YouTube has ended up killing them.

Butt chugging 14

Butt chugging

Image via MTV films

Yes, I guess the photo says it all. As weird as it sounds, some college students think the best and quickest way to get drunk is through their anus! ¡Qué anormales! Not only is butt chugging totally stupid, but is extremely dangerous!


Car surfing 15

Car surfing

Image via KiwiMunted/flickr

Kids simply don't get how quickly their lives can end when they do stupid stunts like this one known as car surfing. I know that the whole point is to get the rush of doing something dangerous, but if only they knew how dangerous it actually is...

Huffing freon 16

Huffing freon

Image via geekmojo/flickr

I was shocked to learn that earlier this year a 12-year-old girl died after inhaling freon from her the AC unit in her grandmother's home. I'd never heard of it, but apparently it's called "huffing" or "bagging" because kids put a bag over their heads and the AC unit and inhale the deadly chemical to get high.


Synthetic weed 17

Synthetic weed

Image via health.com

Late last year, I was in shock when I learned about Emily Bauer, a teen who was left permanently brain damaged after smoking synthetic marijuana known as K2 that she bought at a gas station! Seems harmless, but it obviously isn't!

Vodka-soaked tampons 18

Vodka-soaked tampons

Image via VIME

Although this has been discredited as a hoax, according to several TV news reports it is true and it's an ever-growing trend. Called "slimming" girls can either insert the vodka-soaked tampons into their vaginas or into their rectums, which is the preferred method since it gets them drunk quicker. ¡Qué horror!