Fergie gets Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan to prep their dog for baby!
Fergie and husband Josh Duhamel might be ready for baby, but they're also making sure their beloved pet dog is too! The singer, who is expecting her first child with Duhamel pretty much any minute now, recently recruited Dog Whisperer Cesar Milan for a little help getting her pooch adjusted to having a child around.
"@joshduhamel & I getting our doggie daughter ready for her new brother," Fergie tweeted, alongside a snapshot of the trio and the couple's dachshund, Zoe. I just love how on top of things these two seem to be with their pre-baby preparations! It seems like they've thought of everything.
Read more ¿Qué más?: Fergie's 5 cutest pregnancy looks
And they're right to think ahead! Though lots of couples don't necessarily think of how their pet will cope once the baby is home, there are actually are some steps you can take to the make the transition much smoother for the whole family. Check out a few tips below:
- Address any pet training and behavior problems beforehand. Nine months should be enough time for you to help your pets work through any unwanted habits they might have. If necessary, hire a professional. It'll make your life so much easier once your newborn is home.
- Establish boundaries. You can start by making the nursery off-limits so that your pet understands he or she can only enter with your permission. Then, you can gradually work up to letting your pet explore the room (for how long is up to your determination) before the baby arrives.
- Control the introduction between baby and pet after birth. If you have a dog, make sure you let him or her sniff the baby at a safe distance. Then, you can gradually allow the canine closer and closer to the baby.
- Teach your baby how to behave around the pet. As your child grows older and starts exploring, make sure you supervise all the interactions between your pet and the baby. Also make sure to teach your child not to hit your pet or pet it too roughly, not to yank the tail, etc.
- Make sure you don't forget about your pet! Of course, any new parent's main priority is their child. But make sure you maintain a routine with your pets, providing walks if needed and giving them some love and attention when you can.
Image via Twitter