Go camping with your kids…without leaving home!
Being forced to stay indoors because of low temperatures can give all of us cabin fever. Still, there are ways to enjoy outdoor activities, like camping, from the comfort of your own home. Just grab the whole family and turn your living room into your own private campsite --one without the bugs and mosquitoes! Not sure where to start? Follow the step-by-step guidelines below:
- Choose a location: Pick a room that has a lot of floor space so that you (and your gear!) can all fit easily. Decorate it with pictures of forest animals and place any houseplants you may have nearby to make the area feel more outdoorsy. You can even place glow-in-the-dark star stickers on the ceiling to give the impression of the sky!
- "Pack" for camp: To make it a more authentic experience, store all the things you want to bring into backpacks the way you would if you were actually going outside. Kids can bring along their favorite stuffed animals or even a flashlight.
- Set up your sleeping area: If you want to go all out, put an indoor tent in the room. If you don't have one, you can try to make a tent out of blankets. Another option is to simply spread sleeping bags all over the floor so that it still feels realistic.
- Serve "campfire" food: Serve hotdogs or finger sandwiches as the main meal. For dessert, make a camp favorite--smores with chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers!
- Have fun! After eating and before going to sleep, tell stories and sing songs. If you want to get a real campfire feel, turn off the lights and use only flashlights or battery-operated lanterns.
- Sleep: Curl up in your sleeping bag for a good night's rest alongside your family.
Have you or family ever gone camping?
Image via jbrownell/flickr