5 Tips for having the perfect winter picnic
Winter can often bring on the blues since we’re all wishing for warmer temperatures and missing outdoor activities. But, you don’t have to wait for sunnier times to indulge in one favorite pastime –having a family picnic! All you need to do is follow a few easy steps to bring some fair weather fun into the winter season.
- Create the atmosphere: If you’re brave enough to face the chilly air, take the family outdoors. Just make sure to bundle up and bring warm or heated blankets! If you’d rather stay indoors, use the room with the most open floor space to set up seating or a blanket. Place some flowers near your picnic space to recreate the feeling of being outdoors.
- Make a delicious meal: Finger foods generally work best for picnics. Pack a basket with all your family favorites: bread, chorizo, fruit and empanadas or arepas. If you’re outdoors, swap the usual lemonade for some hot chocolate to make the meal season appropriate.
- Don’t forget the other necessities: You have the food, but you also need the dishware! So remember to bring along paper plates, plastic utensils and napkins. Use them even if you’re staying in the house--it’ll be easier to clean up later!
- Play games: If you’re indoors, whip out a board game or play charades to ensure that everyone joins in on the fun. If you’re outside, bring along a soccer ball or if there’s snow on the ground, build a snow fort or a snowman.
- Clean up: Have the whole family participate so that the process goes faster and everyone gets involved. And don’t forget to plan your next picnic!
Does your family go on picnics?
Image via timo_w2s/flickr