US gymnast Gabby Douglas has officially become one of the most memorable Olympics champions ever! Just days after she helped the US take the top spot in the team competition, Douglas won gymnastics' biggest prize: A gold medal for the all-around individual competition. Douglas didn't just fulfill her own dreams--she made Olympics history, becoming the first African-American to win gold in the all-around.
Such amazing news! Douglas is a remarkable young woman and I find her optimism, strength and determination incredibly inspiring. Her journey to success is something everyone can learn from, but especially young girls who can (hopefully) be motivated to follow in Douglas' footsteps and always aim high. Below, five more reasons why Douglas makes the perfect role model:
Want to find other inspiring news? Like us on Facebook!
- She believes in doing what you love. Douglas never let herself be deterred by the fact that gymnastics is a predominantly white sport. Though she admitted it was "definitely strange" at times to be the only woman of color in the gym, she didn't let it stop her from following her passion.
- She's humble. "Someone mentioned that I was the first black American (to win the all-around gold), and I said, 'Oh yeah, I forgot about that!' Douglas said after winning. "I feel so honored."
- She has succeeded, despite obstacles. Douglas' family struggled to pay for the expensive training and travel that an athlete of her caliber needs, especially when one of her parents was on a long-term medical disability leave. Now though, all of their sacrifices and hard work has obviously paid off!
- She just goes for it. Speaking after her win, Douglas said all she wanted to do going into the competition was go out and perform to the best of her ability. "You have to seize the moment," she said.
- She spreads the message behind her success. "You can strive for your dream no matter what," Douglas said. "You have to take those chances. If it works out, great, if not have no regrets."
What do you think of Douglas' victory? Tell us in the comments below!
Image via Getty Images