Teens inhaling homemade darts in latest dangerous trend that should concern all parents!
Three teenage boys were recently rushed to the emergency room after accidentally inhaling homemade blowgun darts they made themselves. And believe it or not, this isn't the first time something like this has occurred. Apparently, a lot of teens have been attempting to create their own blowguns these days using instructions they find online. The problem is, not only is it easy to inhale these things but it can lead to a ton of issues in the throat that can only be fixed with surgery. As if parents didn't already have enough to worry about, right?
Read more ¿Qué más?: Father sees nothing wrong with giving marijuana to his 7-year-old daughter
The three teens were treated at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. And one of them was even reluctant to tell doctors what happened, but it all showed in their X-rays. It looks like when they were trying to shoot the blowguns taking deep breaths, they accidently inhaled the homemade darts down their throats.
"I find it concerning that this is becoming an emerging hazard," said Dr. Kris Jatana, a doctor and expert who specializes in removing foreign bodies from airways, told NBC News. Because more and more sites are providing instructions on how to make these devices from home using household items like sewing needles and shoelaces, more and more kids are finding themselves in hazardous situations. And the other big issue is that a lot of these sites don't provide proper safety precautions. Accidently inhaling these darts can cause anything from constant coughing, to air obstruction, and even bleeding.
Luckily these teenage boys didn't experience severe problems. The darts were removed using bronchoscopes. But according to Dr. Jatana the outcome could have been much worse. He said the the darts could have possibly stabbed the trachea, or breathing tube, or punctured the veins in the boys' airways, which would have required doctors to open up the throat and chest and surgically remove the devices. Seriously, what else are kids going to come up with these days?
I don't know about you, but this really concerns me. With just one deep breath, it's very easy for someone to accidentally inhale these darts and the consequences are pretty brutal. I think it's important to inform kids about the potential dangers that could come with these homemade devices, because I'm sure most of them have no idea. I always say it's better to be safe than sorry.
Image via YouTube