11 Ways to use a pumpkin
With Halloween just a few days away, there's probably no shortage of pumpkins at your local store just begging to be taken home and carved. But did you stop to consider all the other ways you can put that pumpkin to use? Yes, they're good for so many other things that don't necessarily involve a sharp knife and a candle. Below, eleven ideas that will make you rush to your nearest farmer's market to bring one home with you right now!
Read more ¿Qué Más?: The perfect way to peel garlic
- Pumpkins make wonderful home decor during the autumn months and are a great way to spark your child's creativity. Bust out the acrylics, glitter, tissue paper, and glue to conjure up your next great masterpiece.
- When you empty out your pumpkins for decorating, make sure to save all the meat inside. Make yourself pumpkin body butter by mixing pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and cinnamon. Good luck trying not to eat your skin because you're going to be smelling yum!
- Create a nourishing body scrub by adding sugar, salt, or oatmeal to pumpkin puree. This scrub will treat your skin to antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and E.
- You know what else pumpkin puree is good for? Treating tummy troubles due to its high fiber content.
- As for the seeds, lightly coat them with salt and butter, spread them out on a pan, and bake them at 250 degrees until they're golden brown and crispy.
- Take a hollowed-out pumpkin to use as a flower vase or a planter in your yard. It's eco-friendly and when the pumpkin starts to break apart, you can bury the whole thing into the ground to continue protecting your plant's roots while also providing nourishment as it decomposes.
- Few things say "autumn" like a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Just the smell alone will bring some festivity into your home.
- When the chill starts to kick in, keep your insides happy and cozy with a bowl of pumpkin soup.
- Or serve up a warm plate of pumpkin biscuits fresh out of the oven.
- Feed the animals by putting unwanted seeds into your bird feeder or leaving an old carved Jack-o-Lantern out for the neighborhood creatures to munch on.
- If you like the smell of pumpkin, but don't want to go through the trouble of baking an entire pie to catch that smell, check out this super easy DIY for pumpkin pie potpourri.