Onions: The surprising ingredient that can help you lose weight fast
Yes, they can make you cry, but onions also make your fat cells weak with fear. This versatile vegetable holds some very powerful benefits when it comes to slashing pounds and making your body stronger inside and out. In just 45 calories, this bulb-shaped vegetable, can add immense flavor and a powerful punch of nutritious goodness to any dish.
More from MamásLatinas: 5 Easy steps to a hot bikini body before summer
The old adage might ask you to eat an apple a day to keep the doctor away. But never underestimate the power of an onion. It holds as many nutrients as its layers of skin.
Here are five ways that onions can help you lose weight:
1. They help you burn more calories: Onions contain many flavonoids, including quercetin, which specifically is shown to boost oxidative metabolism. It also may have anti-inflammatory properties and reduce body fat. Although more research is necessary to solidify these findings, few studies have certainly shown some promising results. But do note that most of the flavonoids in the onion resides in the outer layers. Overpeeling can reduce the amount of quercetin by up to 20 percent.
2. They have a high amount of soluble fiber: Out of 1.5 grams of fiber, 1.2 grams of fiber present in half a cup of cooked onion is of the soluble kind. Soluble fiber promotes the slow release of nutrients into our bloodstream, which gives you a constant supply of energy. Moreover, soluble fiber stimulates blood flow by reducing cholesterol and blood pressure. Because it can dissolve in water, it forms a gel like consistency in our intestines, and prevents the absorption of cholesterol causing it to eliminate instead.
3. Onions make you feel full: The highly powerful sulfur compounds and antioxidants present in onions lower inflammation, which research shows, stimulates the feeling of fullness. Inflammation weakens your full signal. One of the sulfur compounds present in the bulb of the onion, called Onion A, hinders the activity of macrophages, which as one of their defense tactics, are responsible for widespread inflammatory response. These compounds also prevent the unnecessary clumping of blood platelets. Moreover, onions are a great way to add a burst of flavor and bulk to any low caloric food without going overboard on the calorie department.
4. They detox the liver: Onions contain compounds that soak up carcinogens like arsenic, mercury, lead, cadmium and tin present in many processed foods. The sulfur compounds in particular are potent detoxifiers that cleanse our body and keeps infectious diseases at bay. Onions also contains immune strengthening vitamin C that assists in the elimination of heavy metals. The antibacterial properties present in onions kill pathogens like salmonella and E. coli, and they also shield our respiratory system from compounds that can cause asthma. A cleaner body allows our organs to function efficiently and keeps our cells and vessels stronger giving a boost to their calorie burning functions.
5. They strengthen the heart: The thiosulfates in onions act as a blood thinner and prevent the aggregation of platelets that can result in stroke or heart attack. It prevents the inflammation of blood vessels which further reduces our risk for cardiovascular diseases. It prevents coronary heart disease and atherosclerosis by hindering the oxidation of LDL (or bad cholesterol.) A healthy heart gives you the energy to endure a good fat-burning workout, and it is an important key to a long life.
This post was originally published on December 15, 2014.
Image via iStock
What do you think about using onions to lose weight?