5 Habits to you NEED to stop to fight belly fat
With countless reports stating that fat around the midsection can lead to a greater risk for cardiovascular disease, it's important to keep that waist as trim as possible. But could you be inadvertently making it more difficult to cut that belly fat? Below are five bad habits you could be doing that are causing that muffin top.
Read more ¿Qué Más?: 6 Easy ways to get out of a weight loss rut
- Not exercising when you're eating more than you should is the top reason why you're developing too much mass around your waist. If you're not used to hitting the gym hardcore, then make it a goal to walk for 30 minutes every evening or to park your car a little farther from the entrance to force you to get moving. Carrying a pedometer will also turn the experience into a little game. Can you beat the number of steps you take week after week?
- Neglecting portion control can quickly pack on the pounds. If you find yourself going for seconds and thirds at the buffet table, then note that habit as a big culprit in your belly fat battle. Use a smaller plate and eat slowly so that your mind has the time to realize when it's had its fill.
- Drinking soda is also a bad habit as its filled with sugar and empty calories that don't add any nutrients to your diet. Even the diet soft drinks are still laden with loads of sugar and unhealthy ingredients. If you want to quench that thirst, grab a glass of water instead.
- Give yourself a cut-off time for evening meals. If you eat too close to bedtime not only will have a harder time falling asleep, but your body won't burn off the calories you've just consumed before drifting off. That extra fat will just sit there and start collecting around your midsection. If you must snack on something at night, choose lighter fare like fruits and veggies.
- Are you an emotional eater? Well then this, too, can have some unhealthy consequences. If you reach for the tub of ice cream every time you're feeling stressed or sad, it'll soon start appearing as extra fat around your body. Try to find other ways to let out that steam that don't lead to you stuffing your face full of junk food. Some options include writing in your journal, going for a walk, chatting with a friend, or tapping into your creative talents.