5 Powerful ingredients to prevent cancer
Breast cancer is a very scary term that lately has become very common. The amount of women diagnosed with the disease has increased significantly in the last ten years and I'm sure someone close to you had been touched by those two words. Early detection is key and fortunately there are test that can predict if you have a higher chance to develop the disease. Some celebrities have undergone preventive mastectomies but you don't have to go that far because you can prevent cancer by eating certain foods.
Read more ¿Qué más?: Foods you should eat every day for weight loss
These foods are not going to stop you from getting cancer, but they will help strengthen your immune system. A very healthy and strong body is hard to beat. According to some experts we should limit our daily fat intake to twenty percent, keep a healthy weight and eliminate saturated fats, oils and charred meats from our diet.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids: This is fuel for the immune system. These oils create a shield and strengthen the immune system. It works like a repellent for cancerous cells and we get it solely from foods. Unfortunately, our body doesn't produce it. Take supplements and eat a lot of sardines, salmon and cod fish.
2. Foods rich in lignans: They are a group of natural chemicals found in certain plants and grains. Flaxseed and sesame seeds have the highest quantities of lignans. Vegetables like broccoli and cabbage are also rich in these chemicals and you should make them a part of your diet. You can also take lignans supplements to get more out of the miraculous ingredients.
3. Cruciferous vegetables: I'm talking about broccoli, cauliflower, crest, cabbage, bok choy and brussels sprouts because they are rich in indole-3 carbinol which help fight cancer cells. Eat enough of these veggies to make your body strong.
4. Fruits and vegetables rich in lycopene: That's what gives some foods their vibrant colors. Tomatoes, peppers, oranges, watermelon, pink grapefruit, all have large amounts of lypocene. Lycpcene is a great antioxidant which helps clean the blood from toxins and damaged cells.
5. Garlic: It contains two powerful ingredients, alliin and allicin, which fight a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori that grows in the stomach. This bacterium has been linked to cancer and eating garlic will protect you from that. Eat garlic raw for better results.
Image via Corbis