5 Ways kombucha can help you lose weight
Made from a combination of fermented yeast, bacteria, sugar and black tea, Kombucha is famously known as the health elixir of life. This probiotic has been credited with many health benefits, one of which includes weight loss. Although this claim doesn't necessarily have any scientific backing, regular drinkers do promise some amazing weight loss benefits. Here are some ways Kombucha is said to help slash weight:
More from MamásLatinas: How to get healthier and lose weight in 15 minutes a day
1. It is detoxifying. Proponents of this drink claim that it contains glucaric acid, along with other powerful cleansing enzymes that eliminates liver toxicity and promotes the excretion of waste materials. In a research study, it was found that the antioxidants in the Kombucha tea soothed the oxidative damage caused on cells. It has some laxative properties which helps remove impurities. Its lipolytic action eliminates excessive fat and bad cholesterol from our blood. For weight loss, a clean body is very important as it promotes the absorption of vital nutrients present in whole fruits and vegetables. Kombucha gives you exactly that with its detoxifying powers.
2. Aids digestion. Kombucha is a probiotic drink, which is made from the reaction between the bacteria in SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) and the tea. This probiotic encourages the proliferation of healthy flora in our gut, which aids in the efficient breakdown of foods, absorption of nutrients while eliminating the bad products. It is said to cure constipation and acid reflux. The healthy gut flora reduces the population of bad bacteria whose buildup can cause infections and diseases.
3. Strengthens the immune system. Kombucha contains glucaric acid, which is shown to help prevent cancer. This specific study showed that the cancer rates was lower among Kombucha drinkers. Because it is a fermented drink, it has antimicrobial properties which shields your body against common illnesses. It is very high in antioxidants, which fights and repairs cellular and DNA damage. Since it's loaded with B vitamins, it promotes the healthy metabolic functioning as well.
4. Boosts energy. During the fermentation process, the black tea releases iron, which boosts our energy. The copious amount of B Vitamins and some caffeine in it, also does the same for our body. The released iron increases the hemoglobin level through a process called chelation, which then transports oxygen molecules to cells and tissues. A well oxygenated body is crucial for high energy.
5. Improves metabolism. Some research has shown that Kombucha tea improves metabolism while inhibiting the storage of fat; both of which, of course, aid in weight loss. When your metabolism is high, the rate at which you convert food into energy increases as well, which in turn burns calories. By not storing fat, Kombucha helps break down fat molecules for fuel, also promoting weight loss.
Kombucha comes with many health benefits. That said, it doesn't have the most attractive taste. But the health promoting enzymes, vitamins and acids housed within this drink certainly makes it worth a try. It has a rich history going back almost 2,000 years and it has been said to relieve many diseases like dementia, cancer, arthritis and more. Still, more research is required to validate these claims. If you are on the quest to lose weight, this drink might be what you need, but it definitely does not replace a healthy diet and working out. Use it in conjunction with a clean diet and a rigorous workout.
This post was originally published on September 11, 2014