5 Tips to keep migraines at bay
Migraines are no joke and the pain goes far beyond a regular headache that you can dull with a couple of Excedrins. I've been lucky enough to never have experienced one myself, but I've seen what it can do to people. Not only is your head under pressure, but light and sound are just too much to bear and you feel like throwing up. I've seen my sister hide under a blanket and request total silence while she tries to sleep off an episode and all she can do is just wait until the pain goes away. When regular meds won't cut it, here are five tips you can try to help fight off those wretched headaches and keep migraines to a minimum.
Read More ¿Qué Más?: Why mothers need to watch out for migraines
- Stay well-nourished and hydrated throughout the day as dips in blood sugar levels could trigger a migraine. When you're in between meals, snack on healthy options like nuts, veggies, and fruits to give your body an energy boost and carry it for a few more hours.
- Some studies show that adding vitamin B2, magnesium, and coenzyme Q10 supplements to your diet could help ward off migraines.
- Keep that blood and oxygen flowing by partaking in cardio activities regularly. Studies suggest that a light workout at least three days a week helps reduce the number of pounding headaches.
- Know your triggers. Control your stress levels and try to maintain an even keel as the comedown from a frazzled moment could be the reason why you feel like your head is about to explode. Pro tip: an orgasm provides excellent stress and headache relief.
- If you're on hormonal replacement therapy or birth control containing estrogen, your hormones could be all over the place triggering, you guessed it, a migraine. Talk to your doctor about what you can do to control your estrogen levels throughout your cycle.