7 Therapeutic uses for aloe vera you never knew about
This wonderful green plant is always in my refrigerator. It's health and beauty benefits are so pletiful that aloe vera (or sábila for us Latinas) was called "the plant of immortality" by the ancient Egyptians due to its numerous therapeutic uses. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, antioxidant, and many other properties.
Some people even attribute energetic qualities to it. In the town where I grew up, people used to put tie an aloe leaf with a red ribbon and put it behind the door to scare away negative energy!
Keep reading to find out all about this super plant!
Read more ¿Qué más?: 5 Foods that soothe sore muscles without painkillers
Aloe is considered a fantastic health aid, along with roots and spices like turmeric, ginger, garlic and ginseng. It is available in supermarkets in leaves, but it can also be found in health food stores in the form of juice, capsules and powder presentations.
Discover some therapeutic uses for aloe vera:
1. It strengthens the immune system. Taking aloe vera strengthens the immune system, making it resistant to the onslaught of any virus or disease. It acts directly on the white blood cells, according to the naturist site Sabrosia.
2. It has lots of vitamins. Regular consumption of aloe vera juice provides all eight essential amino acids not produced by the body and a variety of enzymes that upgrade your vitality. It contains vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 and folic acid; moreover, among its minerals there are calcium, zinc, chromium, selenium, iron, copper, and magnesium.
3. It is a detoxifier par excellence. Aloe vera is composed of a gel that is regenerative for the colon, making it discard those harmful substances through the intestinal tract, maintaining its good health.
4. It improves digestion. Do you often feel heavy after meals? This juice helps the digestive process naturally without having to take medication. It also acts as a digestive tract cleaner. And it keeps the intestinal flora bacteria free.
5. It helps eliminate body fat. To retain the protein we consume it is essential to consume aloe vera, taking advantage of the 22 amino acids it contains. Regarding fatty acids, aloe vera has 3 plant sterols, responsible for the decrease of fat in the blood.
6. Clears the lungs. Bioenergetics Dr. Katia Velez Garcés says that aloe is very effective in clearing the lungs."Just take one aloe, remove the thorns and blend it along with the skin with a tree tomato (also with skin) and a glass of water and take it by spoonfuls," according to information released by El Universal, Colombia.
7. It cures gastritis. Sábila is used as a home remedy for gastritis, inflammation of the stomach and heartburn. Its crystals contain a wonderful component for the recovery of gastric mucosa.
Editors' note: Please consult your doctor before taking any remedio casero, including aloe, and especially if you're pregnant or nursing.
Image via Thinkstock