The do's and don'ts of juice cleansing
I recently did a one day juice cleanse, drinking My Glow Bio juices. Although it may not sound like much, it does have an impact on your body. With summer right around the corner, I know most of us are trying to shape up and some are even testing out different cleanses.
If you choose to do a juice cleanse the way I did, there are some things you need to keep in mind.
Read more ¿Qué más?: Awesome green juices to start your morning right
While I'm not a fan of compulsive juice cleansing, I do think it's something we can do once in awhile to "restart' our system. The problem is too many people approach cleanses the wrong way.
Below are the do's and don'ts of juice cleansing. If you plan on doing one this summer keep these things in mind:
1. DO prepare your body: A few days prior to the cleanse avoid caffeine, processed foods, alcohol, and anything else that is artificially made.This will help you prevent headaches and other mood swings that are side effects from cleansing.
2. DON'T spontaneously cleanse: You need to keep in mind that not everyone can handle a juice cleanse. Do your research first before embarking on a juicing detox to avoid making yourself sick. There are other cleanses that are less intensive.
3. DO choose your weapon of choice: Some people choose to buy cold-pressed juices such as My Glow Bio, while others prefer to make fresh juices at home. My recommendation is if you are doing a prolonged cleanse do it when you have downtime and can spend it at home. It's not a good look if you have to run to the bathroom so often in the office!
4. DON'T overdo it at the gym: During a cleanse your body is not consuming enough calories to burn off. And if you do cardio, for example, chances are you will get dizzy and nauseous. Instead stick to less intense exercises such as yoga or walking to avoid these complications.
5. Do drink lots of water: Since you won't be able to eat solids, make sure you drink lots of water in between your juices. If plain water doesn't do it for you add lemon wedges and cucumbers to add natural flavor.
Image via Giselle Castro
What other tips do you have for embarking on a juice cleanse?