If there is anything that ties the majority of people in this country together, it is their quest to become healthy- not necessarily thinner- but healthy. Statistics show that more than two thirds of U.S adults are overweight. That might just seem like a number to you, that is, until you become a part of it.

When that happens everything changes. Your health suffers, and so does your social and personal life. Desperate situations can cause us to take desperate measures. Most people go from one diet to the next, trying to find some solace, or a miracle that could snap them back out of their current situation and put them in a healthier state.

Read more ¿Qué más?: 5 Things you didn't know about agave nectar

Unfortunately, no such "miracle" pill exists. What this has done is created a country of dieters who unknowingly traumatize their body by taking it from one extreme to the next. Appetite suppressants, laxatives and magic shakes--tools are constantly changing, each making a much more wilder promise than the one before, but people continue forth on their never ending journey of reaching their weight goal.

Why don't diets work? Here's the thing. Most people want to lose weight "forever." In their minds, when they lose those 20 extra pounds, they are never going to put those back on. Now, most diets do work. For example, by manipulating hormones and other important chemicals in your body, appetite suppressants curb your hunger. When you eat less, you lose weight.

But the problem is, how long can people go without eating? Right when they come off the pill, they incessantly start eating, and then when their cravings subside, they go back to their old ways again, putting on way more than 20 pounds they lost initially.

So I'll say it again: Diets do not give long term results and diets are not a healthy way to lose weight because they manipulate, restrict and are too harsh for both your body and mind.

What about The 80:20 Rule? Isn't that a diet? Before we get to that, let's first look at what 80:20 rule really is: The 80:20 rule is a way to adding balance to your diet. Reality is that, unless we have herculean sized willpower, we all love to eat junk food. But that love isn't dangerous. It's when that love shifts to craving where the trouble begins. Craving happens when we eliminate something completely from our diet.

With the 80:20 rule, you eat healthy 80 percent of the time, and the other 20 percent you can indulge in whatever you want. For example, if you eat 28 meals a week, then according to the 80:20 rule, you have to eat a clean, well balanced meal 22 of those time, and in the other 6 you can eat your favorite non-healthy foods.

Rather than a diet, this rule is a lifestyle. This is perfect for long term weight loss because it gives your body, and most importantly- your mind, enough time to adapt to a healthier lifestyle. It is not asking you to be perfect. This plan allows you to be human and indulge in treats.

But, for this to work, you still have to be smart about the choices you make those 20 percent of the time. If you over indulge, then all your effort that you put into being clean for those 22 meals goes waste. It is sort of like a game, but very efficient one at that. If you have diabetes, cholesterol or blood pressure, you will be surprised what this simple rule will do for your health.

Weight loss is not about eliminating things; it is about limiting the unhealthy and building on the healthy. If you ever wanted the best of both worlds, without gaining an inch, the 80:20 rule gives you exactly that. If you can call that a miracle, then it definitely is!

Image via Thinkstock

Add Comment Have you ever tried this rule?
About the author

Ingrid is a holistic health coach, personal trainer, fitness motivator, and wellness author. After finding the key to losing 50 pounds in 90 days, she wants to share how she did it with her free course 9 Simple Secrets I Used to Melt Away 50 Pounds

Read More
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
Click LIKE below to find other posts like this one!
Keep Reading
CUÉNTAME
Add Comment Have you ever tried this rule?

sophi...

No, not for me. If I ate whatever I wanted 20% of the time, my weight wouldn't budge. 

1-1 of 1
To leave a comment on this story, please log in with:
  • Facebook
  • MamásLatinas
  • Comment as a Guest
you are logged in as (logout)
Submitting comment, please wait...