I try not to make a habit of it, but I've been known to have a couple of energy drinks on days when I didn't get enough sleep. Now there's a really great reason to stop my bad habit, though: a Maryland teenager  went into cardiac arrest after drinking two 24-ounce energy drinks in December, dying just 6 days later.

Don't believe that a simple energy drink can kill you? Well, the official cause of death has just been released and, according to 14-year-old Anais Fournier's death certificate, the girl died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity after guzzling 480 milligrams of caffeine from the energy drinks.

Read more ¿Qué más? The surprising food behind urinary tract infections

How much caffeine is that exactly? According to TODAY Health, the young girl drank the caffeine equivalent of 14 cans of Coke—nearly 5 times the amount of caffeine as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Although Monster, who made the energy drinks Anais had, denies that drinking would cause toxicity, health experts are warning against kids having energy drinks. Dr. Allen Taylor, chief of cardiology at Georgetown University Hospital explains:

"Between the caffeine, the sugar, its effects on blood pressure, potential adverse effects, I think it's really difficult to justify a case for children, young adults to be using these substances right now."

Want to find other moms como tú? "Like" MamásLatinas on Facebook!

After this news, I am definitely going to watch my energy drink consumption. But more than that, I am going to make sure that none of the children or teens in my life are drinking them. If this is what happens, then we all need to be careful. Nobody wants caffeine toxicity.

Do you drink energy drinks or let your kids have them?

Image via NBC Today

About the author

Irina Gonzalez is a Staff Writer for MamásLatinas. She loves pop culture, social media, photography and, above all, discovering new places. She's also a foodie eating healthy and learning to enjoy exercise.

Read More
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
Click LIKE below to find other posts like this one!
Keep Reading

1MrsR...

When I was a teen my dad saw me with one & was furious ! He told me he never wanted to see me drinking that again, I stopped. Now I do it maybe 2-3 times a year, not really my cup of tea though.

SEA0701

Yeah when i was a teen i would drink some too like in school or when i was too young to drink at the clubs, not a lot tho. Now I don't really drink any maybe i'll have 1 here and there but honestly i cant remember the last time i had 1.

JCTVCBN

 

I've never drank any, and I wouldn't let my kids drink one either.

sweet...

I have never drank any. Energy drinks are not for kids. They should make them available only for adult like with beer.

ceecee73

Thats one rule in my house, NO energy drinks allowed or consumed :) 

I'm in middle school and I see people drinking it all the time in school. But I will only drink a "quarter" of the can if I have a dance performance just to stay awake because I know it's bad for you.
nonmember avatar
I read this because I have grandkids and wasn't even aware of the danger from energy drinks. To those of you who say you know these are dangerous, why would you even have a small amount? You have control of your own health. Take care of yourself.
Jeann...

They are so gross!

Jeann...

They are so gross!

1-9 of 9
To leave a comment on this story, please log in with:
  • Facebook
  • MamásLatinas
  • Comment as a Guest
you are logged in as (logout)
Submitting comment, please wait...