Delicious eggs benedict recipe for your turkey leftovers, from chef Claudia Sandoval
If you have tons of Thanksgiving turkey left over from yesterday, let's just say you're very lucky because you can really take advantage of them in the days that follow. Chef Claudia Sandoval, in collaboration with the American Egg Board, shared with us this delicious recipe called Machaca Eggs Benedict, and you're going to love it.
Read more ¿Qué más?: 11 Signs you're at a Latino Thanksgiving
For the Poached Eggs
8 large eggs (as fresh as possible)
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
5 quarts of hot water
For the Turkey Machaca
2 cups turkey meat, shredded
1/4 yellow onion, sliced
1 roma tomato, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespon canola oil
For the Bread Stuffing Croquettes
1 ½ cups cold bread stuffing
1 egg white
1 tablespon canola oil
For the Cranberry Sauce
1 cup cranberry sauce
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange
salt & pepper
1. To poach eggs: In a large saucepan add 5 qt. of hot water and vinegar and set water on high heat to boil. Once water has come to a boil, turn water down to low and wait 2 minutes, there should be no boiling. Begin to swirl water in pan until a whirlpool has formed. Crack one egg into a ramekin or heat proof silicone cup. Gently pour egg into swirling vortex, egg white first.
2. Cook egg for 4 minutes without stirring or checking on it. Remove egg and place on a paper towel to absorb poaching liquid. Set aside and repeat with remaining eggs. Just before serving drop eggs into poaching liquid for 15 seconds to reheat.
3. To make Croquettes: Preheat a skillet or comal on medium heat. Beat egg white in a small bowl until just frothy. In a large bowl place bread stuffing and pour over frothy egg white. Using silicone spatula fold egg into bread stuffing.
4. Divide croquette mixture into 4 in the bowl. Take one half of each fourth in hands and form a small circular patty. Carefully place patty on griddle and allow to cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat and repeat until 8 croquettes have been made.
5. To make cranberry sauce: In a medium saucepan, add cold cranberry sauce, orange zest and juice of one orange. Using a whisk, break up cranberry sauce and dilute into orange juice. Continue simmering until sauce thickens and reduced by a quarter.
6. To make Machaca: Place a large sautee pan on medium heat and add tablespoon of oil and shredded turkey. Sauté for 2 minutes until turkey just begins to crisp up. Add onion to pan and cook for another minute. Add garlic and sauté for another minute before adding tomato. Cover and allow tomato to cook down for an additional 2 minutes.
7. To plate, place two croquettes on a plate and top with the warm Machaca. Top with a poached egg, cranberry sauce and serve.
Image via Chef's Roll/American Egg Board