6 Reasons to eat more oatmeal
Oatmeal is a great breakfast option that's both tasty and incredibly nutritious. It's something any hectic mom can squeeze into her schedule because whether you cook it on the stovetop or pop it into the microwave, you'll have a satisfying dish in just a few minutes. And when you've got work to do and kids running around, it doesn't get any better than that. Below are six reasons to eat more oatmeal and all the healthy benefits you'll glean from this delicious dish.
Read more ¿Qué Más?:
- Oatmeal contains 4 grams of soluble fiber in just one cup. This will help you feel fuller (so you're not reaching for that candy bar soon after eating) and if your tummy is satisfied for longer, that means less craving and eating and a better chance at weight loss.
- Studies have shown that eating oatmeal lowers your LDL, your bad cholesterol levels. It also reduces your risk of heart disease and heart attacks due to its cholesterol-lowering properties. Oatmeal has also been found to lower your risk of colorectal cancer.
- Eating oatmeal could reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and those who already live with the disease should eat oatmeal to control blood sugar levels. Just make sure to look for "whole grain oats" on the packaging and avoid the flavored options that add in sugar, sodium, and other unhealthy ingredients.
- Oatmeal is jam packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, protein, iron, and complex carbohydrates. Can you believe all that lies in that satisfying bowl of yumminess?
- If you're not into flax seed or broccoli, oatmeal is another way to add lignans into your diet. These are a plant chemical that can help ward off cardiovascular diseases.
- By adding extras like fresh or dried fruits, honey, spices, nuts, and preserves you can make a wide array of flavorful oatmeal. And did we mention how cheap it is to buy a big batch of oatmeal? These two things combined can provide countless meals without ever getting bored of the same taste day after day.