6 High fat foods that are actually good for you
You've probably heard that fatty foods are terrible for your health and for your waistline. But here's the thing, not all fats were created equal. In fact, some fats are actually very good for you! The key is to remember to stay away from saturated and trans fats and nosh on foods that pack in the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Not only are fats important to help you absorb certain vitamins like A, E, D, and K, but it also lowers your cholesterol and leaves you feeling fuller for longer. Below, six foods that are high in fats, but really good for your body.
Read more ¿Qué Más?: 6 Holiday foods that fight aging
- Avocados are delicious, buttery, and so versatile. Add slices to your salads or sandwiches for a boost in monounsaturated fats that will do your heart some good.
- Olive oil might contain a good amount of calories (100 in one tablespoon), but it is so much healthier than other alternatives like butter, vegetable shortening, and palm oil. Research shows that using olive oil in your diet will reduce your risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, and certain cancers.
- Nuts are another fantastic source of fats and nutrients. Snack on almonds for vitamin E, walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids, and pistachios for carotenoids that will keep your eyes healthy. Butter versions of these nuts are also full of protein and fiber just keep a look out for extra unhealthy ingredients that will diminish the benefits.
- Flaxseed, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds are also low-fat and contain only monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Flaxseed also contain 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plants, which could provide protection against breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer.
- Eggs are high in protein, vitamin B, and one whole egg has about 5 grams, which include mixture of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats, but most are of the good kind.
- Fatty fish like salmon, herring, tuna, sardines, mackerel, and trout and chockfull of omega-3 fatty acids that are good for heart health.