5 Ways black coffee helps you lose weight
I've read all about the crazy amazing health and diet benefits of green tea for years, but I've never been able to get myself to choke the stuff down. I'm just not a tea girl. Now coffee? That's my drink of choice! So when I recently learned coffee may promote weight loss, I just about lost my ever loving mind. Surely, this news is too good to be true, right?
Read more ¿Qué más?: Melt the fat away easily with this miracle natural ingredient
Wrong! It turns out, black coffee can actually fuel your weight loss efforts and even give sluggish metabolisms the swift kick in the culito it needs to stay up and at 'em all day long. That's great news for people who, like me, don't like diet-friendly green tea. Ich! Though I'll admit coffee doesn't have a bajillion health benefits like green tea does, several studies have proven your morning cup of Joe provides coffee lovers with these five (count 'em, FIVE) weight loss fueling benefits. That's more than enough to put a pep in your step!
- It's low-cal. A plain, black cup of Joe has only 2 calories. And because it's basically flavored water, there's a good chance the extra liquid will help you feel full and sated. But remember, this only holds true for BLACK coffee.
- It's a diuretic. The caffeine found in coffee acts like a diuretic, meaning it can help you de-bloat. One or two cups of black coffee a day should be enough to help you shed water weight. Drink any more than that and you risk becoming dehydrated.
- Café torches calories. Coffee stimulates a process called thermogenesis, which is the body's way of generating heat. But that doesn't mean you should chug coffee in lieu of working up a good ol' fashion sweat. Too much coffee can make you jittery and keep you up at night, which may in turn cause you to GAIN weight. Again, sip in moderation.
- It's a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants are crucial for your overall immune health, as well as for your ability to recover from strenuous workouts. And the less achy you are, the more likely you are to get up and hit the gym, even after an especially brutal workout. Speaking of which…
- Coffee improves focus. The caffeine found in coffee provides you with the energy you need to not only show up to spin class, but totally rock it. Besides, if you're feeling good and energized, you'll be less likely to reach for carby, sugary foods for an ánimo boost.
So what do you think, coffee lovers? Is fitting into your little black dress worth swapping your beloved café con leche for plain black coffee? Sound off!
Image via Thinkstock