Make a healthy tropical coconut acai berry smoothie (RECIPE)
With the warmer weather here, I can't help but fantasize about visiting a tropical island sipping mai-tais on the beach. Unfortunately I don't think that will be happening this year so I have to bring the tropical atmosphere to me. This is what inspired my me to make a coconut acai smoothie.
If you're a huge coconut lover and enjoy the exotic taste of the acai berry, then this is one recipe you won't want to miss out on.
Read more ¿Qué más?: 5 Ways coconut water can help you lose weight
The first time I tried a coconut acai smoothie I couldn't help but notice just how happy it made me. It's a beverage that tastes like a dessert and is both guilt-free and healthy, but also fully satisfying.
The acai berry which is a popular fruit from Brazil is packed with protein, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and more. The best way I can describe this delicious drink is a healthy paradise in your mouth. Don't believe me? Then you definitely have to try it out now! Take a peak at the recipe and directions below:
1 Young Thai coconut (You will need its meat and water. If you don't have a coconut available, opt for 1 cup of coconut milk and half a cup of your favorite coconut water)
1 medium banana
1 individual packet of frozen acai berry
- First cut open the fresh coconut, following these directions. It might be a task, but trust me it's worth it when you crack it open.
- Once your open your coconut neatly, pour the coconut water into a separate bowl. If you don't have a coconut, eliminate the first few steps and use the coconut milk and coconut water in place of this.
- Scoop out coconut meat and place aside in a separate bowl
- In a blender add your piece of acai (I like Sambazon's version), the banana, the coconut meat, and coconut water (or coconut milk and water).
- Blend until smooth and if you prefer it smoother, add some more coconut milk or water to taste. Blend again and pour into a glass.
Image via Giselle Castro
What are your favorite summer-esque smoothies?