Try this super EASY recipe to make arepas you'll love (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)
Venezuelans, Colombians and arepa lovers all over the planet celebrate World Arepa Day the second Saturday of September. To be part of that celebration, here at MamásLatinas we're sharing this video with super easy to make arepas enriched with egg, butter and queso fresco.
Read more ¿Qué más? The perfect Brazilian capirinha (RECIPE)
You can fill your arepas with refried black beans, ham and cheese, chicken salad and avocado, shredded meat, or simply queso fresco. You can have them for breakfast with eggs (perico style is my favorite), brunch or dinner and trust me, once you start eating them you'll be part of the growing legion of arepa lovers all over the planet. Check the video for a step-by-step recipe.
Arepas Enriched with egg, butter and cheese
Makes 6-7 arepas
1 cup of lukewarm water
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
1 cup of queso fresco shredded
1-1/4 cups of arepa flour
- Pour the water in a bowl, add the eggs and whisk with a fork.
- Add the butter, cheese and mix well.
- Add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time and mix with the fork.
- Once all the flour is all incorporated, knead the dough with your hands.
- Let stand for 2 minutes. Form dough balls the size you like your arepas or according to the size of your arepa maker.
- Cook following the instructions of the arepa maker, I did it for 12 minutes.
In case you don't have an arepa maker, you can cook your arepas in a budare, comal or heavy pan, heat it (on medium heat) and grease it (with a few drops of oil), form the arepas with your hands, cook them, and flip them at least once. Arepas are ready when a crust is formed and some parts are a little charred.
Happy Arepa Day!
For more of my recipes, visit my cooking blog.
Image via Enriqueta Lemoine