Try these easy tostones stuffed with mango ceviche (RECIPE)
When I see recipes like these little green fried plantain baskets filled with mango ceviche, I wonder why I didn't think of the idea before! The combination is perfect: a rich mango savory salad (ceviche) served in a green fried banana mini basket, so easy to make and cute to serve that it will mesmerize your family and guests.
The recipe was given to me by my Venezuelan friend Alejandra Ojeda. She lives in Madrid and is is the author of the blog Tartas y Dulces "Mi Negrita", which you are invited to visit. This dish is perfect as a snack for when we have family gatherings. It is also the perfect side dish when we're serving fish. Keep reading for the recipe while I run to get some green plantains!
Read more¿Qué más?:
Fried green plantain baskets with mango ceviche
Makes 12 baskets (6 servings)
3 or 4 ripe mangos, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, finely chopped1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup of cilantro leaves washed, dried and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
3 green plantains, peeled and cut into 4 1-inch pieces
Oil for frying
1. In a bowl combine mango, onion, red bell pepper, lime juice and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste and marinate while preparing the plantain baskets.
2. In a caldero or deep frying pan, put oil to heat.
3. Fry the plantains until lightly browned.
4. Remove the plantains from the pan and put them in a cup, one at a time, and with the help of a mortar pestle, press until it forms a bowl or little basquet.
5. Fry the baskets until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve two baskets per person and fill them with mango ceviche.
For more of Alejandra's recipes, visit her cooking blog.
Image via Tartas y Dulces "Mi Negrita"