Cornbread becomes 100% Latino with this spicy twist! (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)
This is an amazing cornbread. It has a Latin twist: jalapeño pepper that I cannot resist, along with sharp cheddar cheese. You can literally make it in half hour including the preparation of all ingredients and the baking time. My children love it with honey for breakfast. It makes the perfect side dish for a dinner with pork ribs. I love it to accompany a good bowl of lentil soup. Check the video for step by step directions.
Read more ¿Qué más? Swap pasta for eggplant for a low fat-twist con classic lasagna (VIDEO)
Jalapeño and cheddar cheese cornbread
Makes 1 bread, 8 portions
4 Tbs. of butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
2 Tbs. of brown sugar
2 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of baking soda
1 1/4 cups of buttermilk
1 cup corn nibblets
6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter until blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- Stir in corn nibblets, half of the grated cheese and the chili.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and evenly smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the corn bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
For more of my recipes, visit my cooking blog.
Image via Enriqueta Lemoine