National Rice Pudding Day: Try my abuela's secret recipe
When I make arroz con leche, my kids can't wait until it's cool enough to eat. They want it warm. Sometimes they want it for breakfast with raisins. I like to serve it in individual bowls and store in the fridge--it makes a delicious dessert and the perfect snack too. I'm sharing my abuela's rice pudding recipe and I hope you enjoy it with your children as I enjoy it with mine.
Happy National Rice Pudding Day!
Read more ¿Qué más? Para chuparte los dedos: dietético humus de frijoles negros
Makes 8 servings
1 cup of white rice
2 cups of water
6 cups of skim milk
1 cinnamon stick
the zest of a lime
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Put the rice in a colander and rinse under running water.
2. Place the rice in a pot with 2 cups of water, boil and cook uncovered until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 7 minutes.
3. Add the milk, cinnamon stick and lime zest, and once it boils, cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden.
4. Add the sugar and cook for 20 minutes more, stirring occasionaly.
5. Add salt, stir and cook for 1 more minute.
6. Remove from heat, discard the lime zest and cinnamon stick.
7. Serve in individual cups and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
8. Serve warm or cold.
Check out more of my recipes at my cooking blog.
Image via Enriqueta Lemoine