Swap pasta for eggplant for a low-fat twist on classic lasagna (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)
This is a nutritious, low-cal dish. Packed with vegetables, the meat ragu makes the filling for this eggplant lasagna. Instead of pasta, I make this lasagna with finely sliced eggplants, lightly cooked with some olive oil to enjoy the flavor without the guilt. Following is my recipe and in the video you can see how to make it step by step.
Read more ¿Qué más? Try these easy low-cal shrimp tacos with cilantro sauce (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)
Eggplant lasagna with meat ragout
Makes 4-6 servings
1-2 big eggplants, finely sliced lengthwise
1 pound lean ground meat
2 garlic cloves minced
1 cup of onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon of dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon of dried basil leaves
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of celery finely chopped
1/2 cup of carrot finely chopped
2 cups of tomato sauce made out of 4-5 Roma tomatoes blended with half a cup of water
3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat a large deep pan to medium heat. Add some drops of olive oil and cook the eggplants 1-2 minutes on both sides. Reserve.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the meat until brownish, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the oregano and basil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid it is almost reduced, about 5 minutes
- Add the celery and the carrot and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and salt to taste and bring it to boil. Once it's boiling, simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- On a baking dish, put a layer of eggplants, a layer of meat, finishing with eggplants.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
- Bake for 20 minute.
- Take away from the oven and let cool down for 10 minutes before serving.
For more of my recipes visit my cooking blog.
Image via Enriqueta Lemoine