Besides the turkey, nothing says Thanksgiving more than pumpkin pie. Here is my version of the quintessential fall dessert with a twist: two spoons of orange marmalade for a citric flavor that makes this recipe more festive.
Pumpkin Pie with Orange Marmalade
Ingredients for 8 portions
For the crust
1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 Tsp. of sugar
12 Tbs. of cold butter
1/4 cup of ice water
- Place the flour and the sugar in the bowl of a food processor, using the dough blade. Pulse.
- Add half of the butter. Pulse a few times.
- Add the rest of the butter and keep pulsing until the butter and the flour form coarse crumbs.
- Add some of the water and pulse a couple of times, adding more water until the crumbs form a ball.
- Take the dough a make a disc. Place it on a floured plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
For the custard
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of pumpkin puree
2 Tbs. of orange marmalade
3 Tbs. of molasses
1/2 Tsp. ground cloves
1/4 Tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat an oven to 425°F.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough with a dusted roller, until 1/4-inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a deep pie dish and slightly press the bottom and sides of the dish.
- Trim the edges and form a rim, decorating either with fingers or a fork. In this case, I decorated with dough leaves.
- Line the pie shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pie shell to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, marmalade, molasses and spices.
- Add the cream and stir until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool.
Image via Enriqueta Lemoine
Check out our previous menu recipes: