Thanksgiving Day Menu: Roasted yams with pecans
Just the color of this recipe that I took from my cooking blog Savoir Faire The Pleasures of the Palate makes it mandatory at your Thanksgiving celebration. As good as it tastes, this is a super easy dish and makes a perfect side dish for the Holidays. Besides, you can make it in advance for Turkey Day…
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Topped with Pecan Streusel
Ingredients for 8 portions
5 pounds of sweet potatoes
½ cup of cream
Coarse sea salt
¾ cup of all purpose flour
¾ cup of brown sugar
6 Tbs. of butter (salted)
½ Tsp. of ground cinnamon
¼ Tsp. of fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup of pecans coarsely chopped
Butter (to grease a shallow baking dish)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake them for 1 hour.
- Let the sweet potatoes completely cool down.
- In the meantime, in a bowl place the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and combine them.
- Add the butter and cut it with a pastry blender until butter is the size of a pea or smaller, 5 minutes. Add the pecans and mix. Reserve.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh. Discard the skins.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with the cream and salt to taste.
- Butter a shallow baking dish and fill it with the mashed potatoes. Evenly sprinkle the pecans streusel on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Wait at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
Imagen vía Enriqueta Lemoine
See our previous menu items: