Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus


Splash News

Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth's oldest son and heir to the British throne, has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. It was reported on Wednesday, March 25, that the Prince of Wales, who is 71 years old, was tested for the virus since he met the criteria for a test because of his age and his medical history.

More from MamásLatinas: Celebrities who have tested positive for coronavirus

The royal had attended several public engagements in the past few weeks and is now in self-isolation in Scotland. Clarence House and Buckingham Palace released statements to announce his diagnosis and also to assure that his mom, Queen Elizabeth, is in "good health." 

The Prince of Wales tested positive for the virus.

The Prince of Wales tested positive for the virus.

Splash News

Clarence House has announced that the royal has tested positive for coronavirus. Prince Charles, who is 71, is said to be displaying mild symptoms "but otherwise remains in good health," according to a statement. "In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland," the Clarence House statement read. "The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing. It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."

Advertisement

Clarence House released a statement about his and his wife's health.

Clarence House released a statement about his and his wife's health.

Splash News

After his diagnosis, the prince began self-isolating in Scotland at his residence of Birkhall in Aberdeenshire. A spokesman also said that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who is 72 years old, was also tested for the coronavirus but her test came back negative. Charles and Camilla are now self-isolating at Balmoral in Scotland.

Advertisement

Prince Charles attended an event last week.

He had attended a number of events in recent weeks. At the Trust Awards last week, the royal made it a point to avoid making contact with other people by coming up with an alternative handshake. He has been around so many people, it would be difficult to narrow down where he contracted the virus from.

The queen is said to be in "good health."

The queen is said to be in

Splash News

Buckingham Palace said Queen Elizabeth was "in good health" during this crisis. Due to worries over the coronavirus outbreak, she left London last Thursday, March 19, and moved to Windsor Castle a week earlier than planned. Prince Philip joined her. A royal source told CNN that the Queen saw her son Prince Charles at the palace in London on March 12 for a short time at an event. The prince was reportedly advised that he was contagious from March 13. 

Advertisement

A message from the Queen

View this post on Instagram

A message from Her Majesty The Queen @theroyalfamily

A post shared by Kensington Palace (@kensingtonroyal) on

Prince Charles has not been hospitalized, according to a royal source. The royal was reportedly tested because he met the criteria for a test, due to his age and medical history. After testing positive, he was told that his diagnosis is "unlikely to escalate into a more serious case." The source said that he has spoken to the Queen and to his sons William and Harry since his diagnosis. 

Topics: celebrity illness  celebrity health