Next week, we are hosting my daughter Carolina's high school graduation party at our house. And we know as Latinas that for any party to be successful the food, drinks, and music are key! We are having the food catered by my daughter's favorite Mexican restaurant The Mexican Corner restaurant in New Rochelle, New York. On the menu, we have chimichangas, flautas, chips and salsa, guacamole and tamales as appetizers. As entrée, we have a choice of chicken or steak fajitas with rice, beans and onions and peppers. For dessert we have flan as well as mini, assorted pastries. I'll buy lots of soda and make sangria.
I spent a lot of time coming up with the perfect mix of Latin hits to add to the American playlist. I was traumatized by an incident that happened a while back when I offered to host at a beach club (predominantly Anglo membership) and the DJ played only Salsa and Merengue. You will not believe what happened...
Read more ¿Qué más?: Abuela's remedies are sometimes not enough to make you feel better!
One of the ladies at the party (after a few drinks) told me to please, "Take this sh*t off and to put American music back on."
We have a greater number of gringos coming than usual so I always struggle with just the right amount and type of Latin songs that are part of the mix.
With time, I've learned that you can't immerse Anglos into a shockingly Latin experience. You have to do it over time; blend the Latin with the American and be selective about the sounds and artists and keep it a bit more Pop! So just in case you're asked to do the Latin hits for the gringo playlist, here are my top 30 favorites from my favorite artists of all time!
- Elvis Crespo: Suavemente
- Calle 13: Atrevete-te
- Juanes: A Dios Le Pido
- Celia Cruz: Ríe y Llora
- Shakira: La Tortura (feat Alejandro Sanz)
- Prince Royce: Stand By Me
- Don Omar: Danza Kuduro
- Mana: Oye Mi Amor
- Carlos Vives: La Gota Fría
- Gloria Estefan: Mi Tierra
- Marc Anthony: Ahora Quién
- Pitbull: I Know You Want Me
- Enrique Iglesias: Cuando Me Enamoro (feat Juan Luis Guerra)
- Aventura: Un Beso
- Santana: Maria Maria (feat. The Product G&B)
- Ricky Martin: Livin' La Vida Loca
- Son By Four: A Puro Dolor
- Daddy Yankee: Pasarela
- Wisin & Yandel: Algo Me Gusta de Ti (feat Chris Brown & TPain)
- Chino & Nacho: Niña Bonita
- Pitbull: Rain Over Me (feat Marc Anthony)
- Daddy Yankee: Lovumba
- Don Omar: Zumba
- Romeo Santos: Promise (feat Usher)
- Selena: Amor Prohibido
- Wyclef Jean: Guantanamera (feat Refugee Allstars)
- Yerba Buena: Guajira, I Love U Too Much
- Don Omar: Taboo
- Julieta Venegas: Eres Para Mí (feat Anita Tijoux)
- Marc Anthony: Dímelo
Enjoy and please let me know in the comments if you feel strongly about adding some others!