'The Voice:' 5 Latino singers to watch out for in the live shows! (VIDEOS)
The Voice kicks off its first night of live shows tonight! After each coach cut their team by half in last week's knockout rounds, only 20 contestants remain--all of whom will be taking the stage live for the first time in this week's 3-night event. On Wednesday, after the performances, the top 12 (voted on by America) will be announced.
I can't believe we're already up to this phase of the competition! Though I was a little bummed about some of the cuts made last week, I'm excited to see each contestant perform individually...especially since some of my favorite Latino vocalists are still on the show. Check out my picks for the 5 remaining Latin artists to watch out for below:
1. Julio Cesar Castillo: Castillo landed himself a spot on Team Blake after becoming the first ever contestant to sing entirely in Spanish during his audition. After winning his battle round by singing Gloria Estefan, he once again had to battle a fellow team member in last week's knockout rounds. This time, Castillo decided to stray from his typical Latin genre and take on a Justin Bieber song...and though I was hesitant about his decision, I guess it worked cause Blake Shelton chose to keep him!
2. Melanie Martinez: I pretty much fell in love with Martinez's voice when she sang an incredibly haunting and unique version of "Toxic" during her audition...which is also why I was thrilled when she came out victorious against a fellow Team Adam member during the battle rounds. Last week, she sang "Bulletproof" and though I didn't think the performance was her best, there's no denying the star quality in her voice. Adam Levine apparently agreed because he picked her!
3. Joselyn Rivera: Rivera originally joined Team Xtina, but was stolen by Levine after Aguilera didn't pick her in the battle rounds. In her first round on Team Adam, Rivera took on a very ambitious song, "Love on Top" by Beyonce, against fellow young Latina vocalist (and another one of my favorites!) Kayla Nevarez...and she NAILED it! Though I'm sad to see Nevarez go, I think Rivera deserves to continue--she took this round hands down!
4. Diego Val: The cute Peruvian singer caught Xtina's eye during his audition, but landed on Team Cee Lo. His raspy voice won him the battle round and it once again helped bring him to victory last week with his rendition of "Are You Gonna Go My Way."
5. Adriana Louise: Adriana Louise surprised everybody with her powerhouse voice during the battle rounds and she came back with a vengeance during the knockout rounds for Team Xtina as well. Though it was a tough choice, Aguilera ultimately chose her.
Image via NBC