5 Best Latino performances at the Tony Awards (VIDEOS)
Tonight is THE night for anyone that's a fan of theater. It's the 66th Annual Tony Awards and I could not possibly be more excited.
Granted, Latinos were left out of all the major acting categories in the Tony nominations but that's not stopping any of them from enjoy a good night later today. In fact, Ricky Martin (who's starring in Evita as Che) and Raul Esparza (one of Broadway's biggest stars) are set to perform and I am anxiously awaitng those two golden set of pipes.
But in the meantime, I'm looking back at the best Latino performances of past Tony Awards and the videos, below, are simply amazing. Check out current Grey's Anatomy star Sara Ramirez, Broadway legend Chita Rivera, Karen Olivo of West Side Story, Daphne Rubin-Vega in Rent and the cast of In The Heights--you'll be amazed, too.
Read more ¿Qué más? Hmmm...Why were Latinos snubbed in the Tony Award nominations?
1. The musical In the Heights, about the Dominican-American Washington Heights area of New York City, performs during the 2008 Tony Awards Show.
2. The original cast of Rent, featuring Panama-born actress and dancer Daphne Rubin-Vega, performing during the 1996 telecast.
3. Puerto Rican Broadway legend Chita Rivera lends her set of pipes (and AMAZING dancing skills!) in this performance of "Buenos Aires" at the 1985 show.
4. The women of West Side Story perform the song "America" at the 2009 Tony Awards, where Latina Karen Olivo went on to win a Tony for her role as Anita.
5. Sara Ramirez, who now stars on Grey's Anatomy, sings with her Spamalot castmates at the 2005 Tony's, where she won won later in the night.
Want to find other moms como tú? "Like" MamásLatinas on Facebook!
What was your favorite Latino performance at the past Tony Awards? Are you looking forward to seeing Ricky Martin and Raul Esparza perform on tonight's show? Share with us in the comments below!
Image via Getty Images