10 things we hope Univision does on their new English-language network
Here's some news that I think will please just about everybody: Disney-owned ABC News and famed Spanish language channel Univision have joined forces to develop an English-Language channel for Latinos. I think this is one of the best ideas I've ever heard because, seriously, it's very much needed. It's no joke that English-speaking Latinos are the fastest growing demographic in the US and I'm excited to see the premiere of the channel that will include lifestyle, entertainment and health-related program as well as traditional news programming.
Around here, we have a couple ideas about what we all want to see from this new venture!
1. Sabado Gigante in English: Yes, seriously. This was my favorite variety show as a kid and they really have to bring it back in English. It'll be a great Saturday night for sure.
2. A Telenovela: With Desperate Housewives going off the air, maybe Eva Longoria will join a new English-language soap opera--but this one has to be telenovela-style, as in I want to see something crazy intense airing Monday-Friday in primetime that lasts for just a few months.
3. Spotlight funny Latinas: There are some pretty funny Latinas out there (Sofia Vergara and Aubrey Plaza immediately come to mind) and I'd love to see a lot more of them.
4. An English Walter Mercado: Seriously. Although the Puerto Rican astrologer and Univision parted ways, I would love love LOVE to see someone like him doling out advice on the air.
5. Return of Power-Weather Girl: There's nothing quite like the Latina power weather girl and it's exactly what this new channel will need to make their news segments shine.
Want to find other moms como tú? "Like" MamásLatinas on Facebook!
6. New Latino Directors and Writers: What the industry really desperately needs is to showcase new behind-the-scenes Latino talent, like directors, writers and crew. Give them work, people!
7. Latino talent DWTS: Um, OBVIOUSLY. We love William Levy on Dancing with the Stars so much that how could we NOT want a whole show devoted to him and other Latin hotties dancing away?
8. A Latina Oprah or Ellen: This channel's definitely going to need a voice of reason, fun and advice. Hopefully she'll capture our hearts as much as these other daytime leading ladies.
9. Latin cooking shows: Well, I'm obsessed with the Food Network so this one's an obvious one for me, but I really want to see cooking shows with Latin chef superstars like Aarón Sanchez.
10. A Latin John Stewart or Tosh.0: We're definitely going to need a daily dose of end-of-the-night giggle and I would absolutely love to see a comedian doling out the news, no matter how outrageous.
What would you want to see on the English-language version of Univision?
Image via Univision