7 amazing Latino acts you need to check out at Coachella 2012! (VIDEOS)
I gotta admit -- It's always kind of bothered me that out of the over a hundred artists featured in the annual Coachella Musical Festival, there's always only a sparse handful of Latino acts. I mean, The Black Keys, Afrojack, Bon Iver and the Shins are awesome but I can't help but wish there were a few more Hispanic performers representing the community--especially since Coachella itself has traditionally been a community of migrant farm workers! As a matter of fact, in the 1960s and 1970s Coachella was a hotbed of Chicano political activism including protests and visits by United Farm Workers leader César Chávez.
Still, I'm glad there are at least some Latino musicians being featured. If you're lucky enough to be attending the concert in the next couple of weekends, make sure to check these acts out:
Want to find other Latino culture fans? Like us on Facebook!
1. At the Drive-In: This band is having their first big reunion at the festival since breaking up over a decade ago! By far the most well-known Latino act at the concert, the four members will be one of the top headliners for Sunday night's lineup. And Coachella attendees won't be the only ones who'll get to see them in action -- they will also be making an appearance at this year's Lollapalooza. Anyone going to either concert should definitely see them since the band has already announced that despite their performances, they won't be recording any new music.
2. Neon Indian: The band first took the world by storm with their debut record, Psychic Charms, and have since been featured in Rolling Stone. Mexican vocalist Alan Palomo's voice captivates listeners, including late-night talk show host Jimmy Fallon who invited them on his show!
3. Le Butcherettes: This all-girl group from Guadalajara is part musical, part theatrical. They have a hard rock sound but have been known to use artificial blood, flour, eggs, meat and even a real pig's head on the stage!
4. Ximena Sariñana: The 26-year-old Mexican star isn't just known for her singing and songwriting. She started acting in telenovelas when she was just 11 years old!
7. Amon Tobin: Tobin is a Brazilian musician and producer of electronic music. He has released 7 major studio albums and his tracks have been used on TV shows, advertisements and even video games.
6. Hello Seahorse: The Mexican alternative pop band was formed in 2005 and gained recognition quickly. In 2009 and 2010, they were nominated for the best alternative song at the Latin Grammy awards.
7. AraabMuzik: The hip hop record producer's real name is Abraham Orellana. Part Dominican and Guatemalan, Orellana has worked with artists including Busta Rhymes, Fabolous, Cam'ron, and Jadakiss.
Are you going to Coachella? What acts are you looking forward to?
Image via Getty Images