'La Reina del Sur' should totally take on El Chapo
Kate del Castillo recently agreed to a meeting with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman (aka the head of the infamous Sinaloa drug trafficking cartel), but only in character as Teresa Mendoza from La Reina del Sur, and I think it's a GREAT idea!
Mendoza was a bad ass character, which is one of the reasons I loved her so much. I mean how many times do you see a self-possesed, tough-as-nails, single woman on Spanish-language TV? So, I was thrilled when I started watching last year and realized, much to my surprise, that Kate del Castillo was playing such a strong female role!
Anyways, back to Mendoza and El Chapo meeting, here's why it's a good idea:
- Mendoza has already faced down the Mexican cartel, the Gallegos who had been controlling the drug trade across Spain for ages, and the international police--she can clearly handle herself in the presence of hyper-violent and powerful men.
- La Reina knows when she can use her feminine wiles to get her way. She successfully manipulated the head of the Moroccan army and managed to keep the Mexican DEA agent on her tail at bay just long enough to reach a plea deal that kept her from doing any real jail time.
- Mendoza knows the power of important female friends. We're sure that she would get in good with whatever ladies are really running things behind the scenes before meeting up with someone as important as El Chapo, just like she found Patty O'Farrell and managed to make her one of her most important partners.
- La Reina is actually a good person at heart. All she really wanted was to fall in love and live a nice quiet life with a kid or two, but her dummy boyfriends kept sucking her in to the crazy dangerous drug business and foiling her plans of domesticity.
- She insanely good with numbers, so there may just be a way that she can convince El Chapo to take Kate del Castillo up on her ideas of trafficking in justice and women's rights and equality over trafficking in, ya know, women, children and drugs. Hey, there is not a high probability of this actually happening, but ya never know--if anyone can make it a reality it's Teresa Mendoza!
If you have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to La Reina del Sur, PLEASE tune in to mun2 immediately! They just started running the entire telenovela from it's premiere episode with English subtitles on February 19th and it will air weeknights Monday-Thursday at 10 p.m. with weekly catch-up marathons on Fridays. Watch it, I promise you will not be disappointed!
What do you think about Kate's plans to meet up El Chapo as Teresa Mendoza?
Image via Telemundo, AP