5 Ways to prep your hair for summer
It's finally starting to feel like spring and before you know it we'll be in summer. But as much as I love summer, I hate the dry, damaged (and of course frizzy) hair that comes with it. I'm not a fan of winter, but at least my hair corporates most of the time. Unfortunately, the sun isn't just bad for your skin, it can't ruin your hair too. So is it possible to actually enjoy this warm season without worrying about my hair?
Find other beauty videos in ¿Qué más? 7 Ways to spring clean your skincare routine
Of course there is, girl! The key to avoiding summer hair damage is being proactive and prepping it from the sun, pool, beach and more. Want to avoid dryness and breakage? Here are a few ways you can keep your hair fresh, moisturized and fabulous all summer long!
1. Switch your shampoo: If you're still using regular shampoos you might want to consider swamping them for some sulfate-free formulas that won't dry out your hair and help to strengthen strands. I love L'Oréal EverStrong Sulfate-Free Anti-Breakage Shampoo ($7). If you have curly hair, try a cleansing conditioner like SheaMoisture Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser ($12).
2. ALWAYS use leave-in: Before taking a swim in the pool or beach, make sure to coat your hair with a super hydrating leave-in conditioner, that's going to help fight frizz too. Try Living Proof No Frizz Leave-In Conditioner ($24). It's great!
3. Seal the deal: If you still plan on heat-styling your hair or if you want to wear your curly hair straight, make sure to ALWAYS use a heat-protectant product first, like Phyto Phytokeratine Repairing Thermal Protectant Spray ($32). Keep ends smooth and shiny with a light-weight shine cream like The Chaser ($28).
4. Condition condition condition: I can't stress enough how important it is to constantly condition your hair, especially during the summertime. Aside from using conditioners and leave-ins, make sure you're doing a deep treatment every single week. Try L'Oréal Paris Haircare Power Moisture Rush Mask ($7). I also really like Shu Uemura Silk Bloom Restorative Treatment for Damaged Hair ($68). It's pricey but SO worth it!
5. Rehab your hair: Just went for a swim? Prevent damage by immediately washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo that's going to wash away any dirt and buildup, like Federic Fekkai Apple Cider Shampoo ($23). Or you can save yourself a few bucks and just add some organic apple cider vinegar to a spray bottle filled with water and apply it throughout your hair before washing. It works wonders!
Image via Thinkstock