Abuela's beauty DIY: Garlic treatment for stronger, healthier nails
For the past year or so, I've struggled with weak, brittle nails. I've tried it all from fancy nail strengtheners to protein base coats and even that Quimica Alemana stuff every Latina swears by. But nothing ever seemed to work. My nails remained soft and would continuously break on me. That is until I started using one of my abuelita's favorite old-school remedies for strengthening nails!
Read more ¿Qué más? Abuela's beauty DIY: The best natural remedy to cure acne
Like many Dominican women, my abuela likes to strengthen her nails with an at-home garlic treatment. I'm telling you this stuff really works. After just a few weeks I noticed my nails become drastically longer and a lot stronger. Here's how to do it yourself!
What you need:
1 garlic clove, minced
Clear nail polish or top coat
1 lemon slice
What to do:
1. Start off by taking one small garlic clove and chopping it into small pieces, until minced.
2. Then add the minced garlic into a bottle of clear polish or top coat. Let it sit for a few minutes.
3. While it's sitting, file and buff nails.
4. Now apply the garlic polish to your nails. One coat for each nail is enough.
5. To remove that garlic-y odor, wash hands with a fresh squeezed lemon.
I did this once week for quick resuts!
Image via Getty Images