8 Beauty secrets from my abuela that really work!
Let's face it: Our abuelas have certaintly taught us a thing or two about beauty. Just like their delicious recipes, their beauty tips stay with us throughout our adolescent years straight into adulthood. No one ever believes me when I tell them my abuela is about to turn 85 years old. That's because she's been taking extra care of herself for years with old remedies and secret beauty solutions that have her looking absolutely fabulous.
Growing up, I never saw my abuela leaving the house without looking perfectly, primped and pulled together. I mean, just look at home amazing she still looks today (Abuela is pictured above)! She taught me everything I know about natural, homemade beauty remedies and she swears by a classic, red lipstick for a quick pick-me-up. She taught my super stylish mom everything SHE knows too--and you know what the crazy thing is? The old-school beauty tips and rituals she swears by actually do work!
Read more ¿Qué más?: 7 Beauty rules every Latina should live by
I honestly contribute my glowing skin, healthy hair, full brows, and positive spirit to my abuela's helpful beauty commandments. I can only hope that by the time I'm her age I look just as amazing as she does!
I rounded up some of the best beauty advice my abuelita as given me over the years:
1. Always wear lipstick: My abuela has a lipstick collection that would put most young chicas to shame. For years, I ignored her advice about sporting classic lipstick shades because I just wanted to stick to safe, nude lip glosses. But the minute I started experimenting with red, pink and even burgundy lip colors I felt instantly fabulous. Kind of how Abuela feels everyday!
2. Treat dandruff with vinegar: I struggle with dry scalp and dandruff during the winter season (something Abuela can't ever bear to see). She has always recommended rinsing my hair with vinegar before shampooing. It gets the flakes out almost instantly and leaves hair super shiny!
3. Powder yourself after a shower: After every shower, Abuela usually dabs on some body powder (she loves the classic Maja Dusting Powder) to stay dry. This is a really great trick especially during the hot, humid summer time.
4. Embrace full brows: I had incredibly, long, thick, brows growing up. Think Frida Kahlo! Out of frustration, I plucked them into pencil-thin lines during junior high school. But Abuela always told me my thick eyebrows were one of my best features (not to mention they never go out of style) and encouraged me to grow them out. Now I can thank her for the bold, beautiful brows I have today!
5. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize: Until this day, my abuela has smooth, soft skin (with hardly any lines) that she contributes to the Lancôme anti-aging products she's been using since she was 25. That's why by the time I was 20, I was already incorporating a day cream, night cream, eye cream, and SPF into my beauty routine. She swears by preventative care!
6. Make nails harder with garlic: My abuela has had strong, long nails for as long as I can remember. She adds a little bit of minced garlic to her clear nail polish every so often to help keep her nails strong and brittle-free. It really works!
7. Condition hair with mayonnaise: I had pretty healthy hair growing up because my mami was constantly using abuelita's mayonnaise hair secret on me. She'd apply mayo all over my hair, cover my head in a shower cap, and let the treatment sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. It would leave my hair incredibly soft and shiny!
8. Keep a positive attitude: One of the things that makes my abuela so beautiful is the fact that she's ALWAYS giggling and smiling. She hasn't had the easiest life, but regardless she still tries to keep a positive mindset. She always advices me not to stress, that a joyful spirit is the best anti-aging trick there is.
Image via Johanna Ferreira
What was your abuela's top beauty tip?