5 reasons why I really want to shave my head!
With so many celebrities doing radical things to their hair lately, I got to thinking about my own curls—and how I've always secretly wanted to shave it all off! I know it probably sounds extreme…after all, us Latinas are known for prizing and paying extra special attention to their hair.
But the truth is, despite my Salvadorian background, hair has never been of any interest to me. In fact, if I was brave enough to do so (which sadly, I'm not), I would definitely choose super short or no hair over long locks any day.
Want to find other Beauty news? Like us on Facebook!
- I'm impatient. Maybe it's because I'm a born and raised New Yorker or because I'm a Leo or a combination of the two, but I am just not the lay-back-and-take-your-time type. Anyone who knows me knows I like things done quickly and efficiently—and the same applies to my beauty routine. Thinking about all the time I have wasted styling, straightening or attempting to tame my hair is painful for me…
- I've already done the long hair thing. My hairstyle now is a little more than shoulder-length, but that wasn't always the case. In true Latina style, I used to keep my hair long and flowing all the way down to my hips. For the entirety of elementary school and middle school, my poor mother would have to basically chase me with a brush in order to keep my curls under control. Needless to say, as soon as I got old enough to realize I actually hated the process of styling my hair, I chopped most of it off.
- I'm (generally) a thrill taker. Like I previously said, I have yet to summon enough the courage to actually cut my hair very short or shave it off…but usually, I am a sucker for anything adrenaline pumping. I'm the first in line for any scary-looking rollercoaster, have been parasailing twice, and went skydiving as soon as I turned 18. So a big part of me is still hoping that this taste for the extreme will eventually help me make the dramatic hair change!
- It would totally piss off my big Latin family. OK, I know saying that might make me sound like an angst-driven teenager, so let me explain. My family is amazing, hilarious, and welcoming but they are also very traditional about a lot of things, including appearances. They tend to shy away from things they don't understand or approve of…which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that they always feel the need to put in their two-cents on the whatever the issue is, whether it be a haircut, a tattoo, or even a person's love interest. I am constantly telling them to stop being so old-fashioned and just lighten up! And what better way to force them to do so than by giving them the shock of a lifetime with a crazy hairdo (or lack of hairdo)?
- Did I mention how impatient I am and much time I would save?!
Who knows? Maybe one day, I'll make the leap. For now though, I have to give props to all those girls who do rock an edgy style..and yes, that includes Miley.
Would you ever shave your head or go super short with your hair? Tell us in the comments below!
Image via Thinkstock