What happens when you put on some sunscreen and then walk over to the grill, hoping to finish up some food that you're making for some friends and family? Well, as one man just found out, the results are not pretty.

Brett Sigworth was grilling at his lakeside home in Stow, Massachusetts, when he decided to apply some Banana Boat aerosol sunscreen.

In what's probably the craziest thing I have heard in a while, the man actually CAUGHT FIRE! To be honest, maybe I should have realized that something like this could happen but I never did. Neither did Brett, I guess. 

Read more ¿Qué más? Sunscreen 101: For your kid's safety

The story is absolutely crazy because, although I know that aerosol cans are highly flammable, I didn't think that they were quite THIS flammable. I mean, if it were me, I would not have thought that putting on my sunscreen and then going back to the grill was so dangerous. But as Brett found out, it certainly is. He describes to CBS News Boston just what happened: 

I sprayed on the spray-on sunscreen, and then rubbed it on for a few seconds. I walked over to my grill, took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it went up my arm. I had no idea. It was so scary and I just wouldn't want to see it happen to anyone else.

Want to find other moms como tú? "Like" MamásLatinas on Facebook!

Well, although he seems to be doing better, the man is still recovering from second-degree burns all over his body. Obviously, he never thought that the sunscreen would be "flammable while applied to skin" and he plans to "contact Banana Boat to put clearer warnings on their bottles." I certainly agree with the man because it's a situation that sounds incredibly scary to me and I really hope that they will give clearer warnings, especially since I love aerosol sunscreen cans. 

What do you think about the story of the man who caught on fire after putting on sunscreen and going to his grill? Do you think that sunscreen cans need to put better safety warnings? Share with us in the comments below!

Image via clyderob/flickr

About the author

Irina Gonzalez is a Staff Writer for MamásLatinas. She loves pop culture, social media, photography and, above all, discovering new places. She's also a foodie eating healthy and learning to enjoy exercise.

Read More
Filed Under: summer skin, skincare
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
Click LIKE below to find other posts like this one!
Keep Reading

Franki
Not only that but spraying those things can be harmful to kids' eyes. I saw a father spray his son with one of those things and maybe the nozzle gets clogged or something because it sprayed all crazy ... right into the boy's face! He was crying and screaming... poor baby. I won't use that stuff.
SEA0701

wow that is so scary, Thx God we don't use spray on sunscreen!!

Omg that is so sad about the lil boy @Franki, I couldn't imagine spraying on anything directly onto my child's face!!

Criss...

this teach us that even when it take us more time the cream is better and safety. .. i think ....

marip...

well, i guess this goes to rpove that you should always put on sunscreen BEFORE you go outside

acrog...

I have never like spray on products like hair spray or sunscreen. 

1-5 of 5
To leave a comment on this story, please log in with:
  • Facebook
  • MamásLatinas
  • Comment as a Guest
you are logged in as (logout)
Submitting comment, please wait...